Sunday, December 21, 2008

TRADITIONS

I just got back from spending some much needed R&R with my family in Jackson, WY. Rob had to stay behind and do that work thing, but Jack and I made the trek anyway. There is NO WAY I would try and do it by myself...I am SO blessed to have a wonderful family who helps take care of Jack. Anyhow, this trip was uneventful-cold, but relaxing. We slept, did puzzles, played games and ate...what more do you want for a pre-Christmas trip. BTW, Jack said his Aunt Abby's name pretty much 5,000 times...he now says it when he wants something, is excited about something and is mad about something- I never knew Abby could have so many meanings. On our way home we were having a conversation concerning holiday traditions. The question was posed, "Which ones are your favorites and which ones are you going to do in your own families?". I always think of making gingerbread houses on Thanksgiving day...that one is most definitely staying. I loved getting PJ's as a kid and getting to open them Christmas Eve- I think I'll start that one next year when Jack is a little more into it. Other than that, I don't really know. In sacrament meeting today one of the speakers talked about some traditions families do to focus on bringing Christ into the focus. I'm throwing this one out there to all you more experienced family Christmas goers...let me know what works for you. How do you celebrate Christ at Christmastime? We hope and pray that all of you are enjoying the holiday season. Much Love! Rob, Meggan and Jack G

2 comments:

Bar M U said...

I'm in the same boat this year too - first time at our own home for Christmas Eve and I'm looking for some meaningful traditions. It's hard to know what to do with little kids. I'll be watching your blog for people's comments :) Have a Merry Christmas!

Misty said...

We did a 12 days of Christmas for a family using a nativity this year, which the kids loved. Every day, we'd give the family another piece of the nativity and a poem that went with it. That was more meaningful than giving them a partridge in a pear tree. :)