Monday, December 12, 2011

Blustery Day

Tree #2 to go down in backyard that took out the power line
The fence that fell on our car and gave it a little "kiss"
Our poor roof

Tree #1 on our neighbors car and driveway...just missed his house by inches


The great "Wind Storm" of 2011 is how this storm will go down in the history books of Bountiful. We had up to 95 mile per hour winds hit our home last week and it did some damage. Luckily the damage was mainly done outside, but damage none-the-less.

Rob missed all the fun, he was out of town on business. I was home with the kids when the storm hit. It was about 2 a.m. when I heard the wind start...from then on I was awaken by gust after gust and shingle after shingle falling off the roof. When I woke up I looked outside and saw that one of our huge 50 foot pine trees had fallen down and was laying on our neighbors car. I immediately called Rob and told him what was going on. He got on an earlier flight and got home later that afternoon. The wind continued to blow until early afternoon. I took the kids that morning and we went to a friends home that was clear of any more falling trees. Good thing I did because later that morning anther one of our pine trees feel down and hit the power line and took out the power pole in our backyard. There were live power lines in our yard.

Rob got home and we were so thankful that no one got hurt. For the next couple days we went from home to home playing lumberjack. We had so much help in our own yard and we were able to go and help our neighbors. There was such a feeling of unity in the neighborhood and our ward. I was moved to tears more than once seeing the masses of people helping others. It was truly the gospel in action. We were without power for 5 days...not so fun. Luckily we have family close by that helped us by watching kids, giving us a place to stay and helping us clean-up our yard. We were most definitely watched over and protected. Although the wind was strong and did some damage I most reverently saw the hand of God take those trees and place them in spots that missed homes and saved lives. The destruction could have been SO much worse. We are so thankful to be back in our warm home with power, that before this storm I took for granted. Now we just need to get a new roof, new fences, a screen door and some landscaping done to go along with our new electrical/power connection. I am grateful for how the church is set up to take care of EVERY member and neighbor. I am also grateful for heeding the prophets council to have "Every Needful Thing" in order (there will be some things added to our stash). I am most grateful for the safety of our family and the strengthening of our testimonies. Thank you again to all who helped us in so many ways- you are truly wonderful!

1 comment:

thederricks said...

I still can't believe how much damage you guys took! I am so glad you were all okay! It was fun to see you at Costco a couple of weeks ago! Your boys are SO cute!