Monday, March 29, 2010

BEDREST- the new four letter word!

So I went to one of my prenatal appointments last week, things were looking good and then I got checked- dilated and thinning...BEDREST it is! I know there are so many women who get to do this for a lot longer than I will have to, but at that moment when the Dr. told me, one I thought "Oh CRAP!" and then two the tears started rolling. I am not an overly emotional person- tears aren't something that come that easily out of my eyes. Maybe it's the hormones, or maybe it was because I felt defeated. We have done everything in this pregnancy to keep me from going into another Pre-term labor. I thought things were going really well despite the contractions that I've been having, but at 32 weeks and as far along as I am- this is where I need to be at home in bed.

Here's the skinny, I'm hanging out at home- trying to keep myself entertained. Rob has been an AMAZING husband, totally stepping it up and rising to the challenge of single-parenthood, house wife, maid and caregiver. My family and friends have totally rallied as well and are helping me by taking care of Jack and bringing me meals, diet coke, cookies and visits!

I am now on my fifth day of bestrest- medication to slow down and or stop contractions have helped. I really have to stay on top of it though...every 12 hours or I feel the contractions coming. I am reading a lot of books, doing my nails, catching-up on blogging and doing things on the computer that I've wanted to but not had time to do.

I am learning new things about myself however. I know I've said this before in this blog forum, but I don't like to sit at home. I am learning to enjoy sitting at home and having time to myself. I like to have things done my way, especially when it comes to cleaning and cooking in my home. I have had to learn, and am still learning to just let it go- it's not important how the dishwasher gets loaded and how the laundry gets done. The important thing is I have a husband, family & friends who will come in and do those for me. The other thing I've learned about myself is, I am not great at accepting service. I am trying to be gracious, but this is a hard thing for me. I am used to being able to do things for myself and others around me.

Since I've got plenty of time on my hands I'll be keeping a daily update. But I am so incredibly grateful for the chance to have this baby and that is what is most important right now. Trying to do EVERYTHING possible to keep him in so he can come out and be healthy! Thank you to all the help that's been given and will be given to me and my little family. It is truly appreciated!

4 comments:

Mark Anna Kaizer & Ryker said...

I hope you don't go totally insane....I can only imagine! I get so sick of being in the house all day let alone bed rest. Yuck I am so sorry. I hope everything goes well and that little guy can stay in there long enough to be a healthy little baby. Take care of yourself, you'll be in our prayers!!!

talonandanna said...

wow- megg, i hope things go smoothly from here on out. i'm sure it will be hard to stay down but i know there are so many friends and loved ones who are there and willing to help out. i can totally relate to the accepting help part, and i have had to remind myself (especially with 2) that as hard as it is some times to let things just happen and accept it and have much less control (lol), others get blessings for serving and the 'stuff' to be done will always be there. :) praying for you guys, thanks for being such great friends. if i can help in any way, please let me know.... in fact, could we swing by and drop off dinner one night this week? how about thursday or friday?

Cameron and Amy said...

Oh darn it! I am so sorry. I've never had to do it, but have had friends who have and it doesn't sound fun AT ALL!! Tell me if you need anything at all. If you need Jack to come play, or need new books or whatever. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by searching for other woman's blogs about bedrest and I must say I am just like you. I was just told 3 days ago I have to be on strict bedrest due to dilation and effacement at 27 weeks. I am also carrying to twin boys. So far Day 3 and I am going crazy. I have amazing support from my husband and my family but like you, this is a huge humbling time for me to just sit back and watch others to do things for me and take care of my 2 year old son. It was nice to read that im not the only person going through this! thanks for sharing