Friday, May 28, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?





One of the many things I LOVE about my dear husband Rob is his giddiness over gardening. Rob and I have fallen into some gardening routines since we bought our "house on the creek". Rob takes care of the vegetable garden and I do the flower gardens. We are both learning more and more about how to care and cultivate for those gardens each year. We are learning about what grows well and what doesn't, what to try again next year and what not to do. It has been fun, yes, mom I just said gardening has been fun...shocker I know.

This year, Rob undertook a greater project than just our already large garden spot next to our house. He decided that it was time to try out square-foot gardening. The week he was home on "maternity leave" he built and planted the square-foot-gardens in our back yard. The process was a little more involved than that, but it took the week off to accomplish it. The process started with my Engineer of a husband reading and researching about square-foot gardens and then mapping out in Excel, to scale mind you our square-foot gardens. The Excel document was color coated, precisely mapped out vegetables and like I said it was to scale...does the word NERD jump out to you? So I make fun of him, but it's thanks to him that we have some beautiful vegetables growing and flourishing in our backyard! As for my flowers, they are doing well too, but not as thought-out as the square-foot gardens.

2 comments:

The Lymans said...

We started the square-foot gardening last year. My garden did so well that my dad built me two more this year. You will love it!

suzi said...

Wow!